Which web address is right for your TLD?
Not sure which web addresss to use as your TLD?
Domainmonster.com offers a wide variety of domains and because we realise that you want to choose the best web address available to you, we've created a little guide to help you out.
So if you're not sure which TLD to buy or if you just want to find out more about one particular web address then look through our list for extensive information. The subsequent links will provide you with various Top Level Domain (TLD) details including registration and redemption periods, usage, any restrictions, renewal and expiry information and much much more.
TLD (Top Level Domain) Overview. Which web address is right for you?
Generic Web Addresses (gTLD)
Generic top-level domains are typically top-level domains used by a particular type of organisation eg. .com, .org or .biz. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) governs and defines all terms and conditions for these web addresses as well as having overall responsibility for managing DNS. For more info about specific generic top-level domains click the above links.
Country code Web Addresses(ccTLD)
Country code top-level domains are top-level domains which are generally reserved for a specific country eg .co.uk or .us. These are delegated by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) to national registries for example Nominet in the UK or DENIC in Germany. For more information about specific country code web addresses click the above links.
Web Address Facts
- 88 million web addresses were registered as of March 2007.
- Over 2.5 million new domain registrations take place per month.
- There are 17,576 possible 3 letter domain name combinations, unfortunately all of them have been registered!
- You can only have 63 characters in a web address.
- The most popular registered address length is actually 11 characters long.
- The most common letter to start an address with is ‘s’.